Friday, June 18, 2010


One of the common tools utilized following the
loss of power are portable generators. Most
generators are gasoline powered and use internal
combustion engines to produce electricity.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas
produced during the operation of gasoline powered
generators. When inhaled, the gas reduces
your ability to utilize oxygen. Symptoms of
carbon monoxide poisoning include headache,
nausea and tiredness that can lead to unconsciousness
and ultimately prove fatal.
• DO NOT bring a generator indoors. Be sure it is
located outdoors in a location where the
exhaust gases cannot enter a home or building.
Good ventilation is the key.
• Be sure that the main circuit breaker is OFF and
locked out prior to starting any generator. This
will prevent inadvertent energization of power
lines from back feed electrical energy from
generators and help protect utility line workers
from possible electrocution.
• Turn off generators and let them cool prior to

No comments:

Post a Comment