Friday, November 5, 2010

A Guide to Surge Protection

Today’s electrical appliances, stereo equipment and computer systems are much more important to our daily lives than we’d like to imagine. Our computers are our link to the world around us. They have become a center-point in the daily lives of many families. Think about it, what would you do if your computer burned up? Could you afford to replace it on a moment’s notice, and what about all the valuable data stored on it? Could you easily replace the Plasma screen television you bought for the holidays? You may want to consider protecting your valuable electronics with a proper surge protector.
What is a surge protector? A surge protector is your first line of defense against voltage surges or spikes in your home or office’s electrical system. Typically, a “surge” is when the voltage in your home increases slightly and lasts for about three nanoseconds. A “spike” is a voltage increase that lasts for one to two nanoseconds. Either one can have a devastating effect on your delicate electronics if they are unprotected.
Surge protectors come in many sizes, shapes and variations. Sometimes called a “power strip”, most homeowners know them for being able to extend the number of outlets available on a given wall outlet, like a more convenient extension cord. Unbeknownst to most homeowners, that so-called “power strip” can be a money saver if it’s ever called upon to do its job.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Extension Cords

Extension Cords
Normal wear on cords can loosen or expose
wires. Cords that are not 3-wire type, not
designed for hard-usage, or that have been modified,
increase your risk of contacting electrical current.
• Use only equipment that is approved to meet
OSHA standards.
• Do not modify cords or use them incorrectly.
• Use factory-assembled cord sets and only extension
cords that are 3-wire type.
• Use only cords, connection devices, and fittings
that are equipped with strain relief.
• Remove cords from receptacles by pulling on
the plugs, not the cords.


One of the common tools utilized following the
loss of power are portable generators. Most
generators are gasoline powered and use internal
combustion engines to produce electricity.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas
produced during the operation of gasoline powered
generators. When inhaled, the gas reduces
your ability to utilize oxygen. Symptoms of
carbon monoxide poisoning include headache,
nausea and tiredness that can lead to unconsciousness
and ultimately prove fatal.
• DO NOT bring a generator indoors. Be sure it is
located outdoors in a location where the
exhaust gases cannot enter a home or building.
Good ventilation is the key.
• Be sure that the main circuit breaker is OFF and
locked out prior to starting any generator. This
will prevent inadvertent energization of power
lines from back feed electrical energy from
generators and help protect utility line workers
from possible electrocution.
• Turn off generators and let them cool prior to

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Service Entrance Equipment

"The System Ground relates to the Service Entrance Equipment and the interrelated and bonded components; that is, the system and circuit conductors are grounded to limit voltages due to lightning ,line surges, or unintentional contact with higher voltage and to stabilize the voltage to ground during normal operation per NEC Sections 250.4(A)(1) and(2)"
nccer Training Guide